The Vault Regulars

Friday, November 29, 2013

Down Gilet

Last year i spent ages looking for a down gilet that wouldn't cost me the earth as the big names do. Eventually i bought one from Uniqlo.
However since then i regretted not buying the one with a hood.
So when i came across a gilet with a hood and at such a low price, i thought snap it up quick.

I must admit its very very good, better than it looks in the photo. And i have no complaints apart from a minor point which i will come to  ↓.

The gilet is called the Noorvik - Puffa. and it cost £19.99!
(Andy Howell may like to add this to his compendium of low cost gear).

The medium size that i have weighs 240 grams. It contains 90% duck down and 10% feather.
Both inside and out the material is polyester. The main zip has a baffle behind it and a chin guard.
The hand warmer pockets are zipped and deep.The zips are unbranded but are sturdy.
Inside it has 2 wide and deep pockets that easily takes an OS map.
All the hems are Lycra bound including the hood.
My only point and its not a complaint, is that i would prefer the hood to be a little tighter around the face. Looking at the hem it may be possible to add an elasticated cord with grip adjusters. But don't let this point put you off.
If you are looking for a low cost, light, warm gilet and your not bothered that it hasn't got a big price name tag, then grab this while stocks are good.
Of course at this price and quality you will have already guessed it was Made in China. But beggars can't be choosers as the saying goes.


They also do a down jacket at £29.99. You may find this of interest too. HERE.

It doesn't collapse quite as small as the Uniqlo vest and on balance i prefer the Uniqlo version. Uniqlo are currently selling the un-hooded version for £29 but considering this one is £10 cheaper its a good deal.



13 comments:

  1. I'm worried by the number of cheaper down products finding their way into the outdoor market. The way the down is collected isn't always clear and I've seen some very disturbing articles about how the birds are treated. So this is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I understand your principals and I don't condone cruelty. I have no way of finding out its manufacturing ethos. But does that mean all bargains should be left on the shelf? My conscience is clear in posting this article but its up to the individual if he or she wants to buy one or search further. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan. I for one would never doubt your ethics but I prefer to stick to the well known brands. They have a lot to lose if they are found to be using unethical methods of production although I'm not suggesting Noorvik are doing so.

      I know it's difficult, but I do think we should be suspicious of 'cheap' clothing and if in doubt leave bargains on the shelf. Just a view.

      Delete
  3. Looks nice Alan. Have recently seen down booties at £20.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn. It does. I have seen those down booties for £20 too. I prefer thinsulate booties myself though simply because of the dampness that feet are more susceptible to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gibson, I'm unsure where to draw the line or what hype I believe or what is malicious gossip. Its not just down but the whole green thing. I don't believe a lot of "greens" either. You know my view on the countryside from past posts and comments. I am open to amend my post if anyone can prove the product is unethical. Other than that I think its up to individuals to make the choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/viewpoint/down-water-resistant-and-ethical

      I agree there is a lot of hype and it's difficult sometimes to check whether ethical/green policies are implemented, audited and enforced but this article gives some reassurance as far as down is concerned. We can only do our best as consumers and, as I say, I have no knowledge of Noorvik who may be the most ethical on the planet for all I know - but I can't find anything on the internet to tell me.

      Some green policies can put me off! Tell me that the product is produced by 'green' wind energy as one company advertises and I won't buy it.

      Delete
  6. I think I'm right in saying that m&m is owned by Mike Ashley (Newcastle-sports direct-lillywhites-karrimor etc etc) it's probably an in house brand costing the same to produce as one of your high st fancy names. I don't include the likes of PHD in that statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info Anonymous - though the cost of production is not relevant to the point made by Laura and myself.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous. It looks like you are right there. By the way, your not Mike Ashley are you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alan, Just as I was about to post here, my Uniqlo Ultra light down vest arrived!

    I got the Ultra light parka a few weeks ago.

    http://aktovate1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/labels-are-not-all.html

    I have to say I can't fault it!

    And, the vest looks good too. It was reduced to £29 - I didn't see the Noorvik, but I guess the main difference is that mine is even lighter.

    I did read somewhere - can't remember where - that the down was ethically sourced.

    I'm an avid PHD fan, but for these prices Uniqlo stuff deserves a second look.

    Oh, don't know how I missed Following your Blog?

    I do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gordon, We have 3 Uniqlo down garments and they are fantastic value for money. I have a gilet but its without a hood. Its ideal as a general purpose throw on mid layer whether walking or just at home. I wanted a lightweight down gilet to mix and match with my PHD minimus and my TNF zephyrus as conditions changed. It fits the bill very well, but as I said in the post, I wish I had bought the hood version.
      I wouldn't have bought the puffa if I had bought the Uniqlo hooded gilet in the first place but for the cost it was worth buying and making other people aware of it.

      Delete

Find it Here

About Me

My other blog. beneathwhosefeet.wordpress.com